My work is primarily inspired by a reverence for plants, ecology and our integrated nature as part of the planet. This love is expressed in landscape art, and as depictions of objects and living creatures found in the landscape - sometimes representational, while other times abstract or conceptual. I enjoy working in a variety of different techniques, sizes and mediums - using different approaches to achieve textures, forms and compositions that expresses some part of essence of the natural landscape that I experience or find myself in.
A lot of my work and projects explores the landscape in its different forms and contexts – predominantly focusing on human interaction or relationship with it, with metamorphosis and a focus on us as an organism a dominant theme in my recent work. Journeys are also an underlying theme in my work, due to my own travels through landscapes (and thus my own personal relationship with the sites I visit), and this theme is evident in my Nuances series – a series of limited edition landscape prints, printed on Somerset Velvet or Hahnemuhle.
Some disciplines that I employ in my work include Land Art, Drawing, Mixed Media Painting, Photography, Assemblage, and Digital Art or New Media. The unpredictability of some materials are integral to my process - I work very intuitively, allowing an artwork to take shape as it needs to. 'Mistakes' are often reworked and transformed into something unplanned or unexpected. Nothing gets wasted. My art is seated in a deep belief that we need to live in harmony with our earth, creating sustainable systems and methods of living and creating - this includes taking responsibility for the waste created from the creation of my art.
“My art is grounded on the belief in one universal energy which runs though everything, from insect to man, from man to spectre, from spectre to plant, from plant to galaxy.”
– Ana Mendieta, from an artist’s statement in the early 1980s
Attaining a BTech in Graphic Design from the Vaal University of Technology (cum laude) in 2006, Janet has been able to merge design, photography and fine art techniques in her work in pursuit of an individual or unique style. She has facilitated as well as attended several workshops as part of her work. Some of the workshops attended include an introductory workshop in Art Therapy, a concept development workshop by Kai Lossgott, and a Professional Arts Practice workshop presented by Art Source and Art Space Gallery.
Since 2007 she participated in workshops in concept development, art therapy, performance art and professional art practise. These workshops served further her knowledge and enrich her art practice, and since 2010 she has facilitated workshops in different settings and capacities to share her knowledge and help others delve into their own inherent creativity.
Since 2013 Janet has been involved with Site_Specific, a volunteer-run organisation that aims to develop and support site-specific and land art projects in South Africa. In August 2015 she travelled to South Korea as part of the Global Nomadic Art Project; and is currently assisting in the coordination of the South African leg of this international project, "Stories of Rain
Janet's second solo exhibition 'ORGANISM
' opened on 7 April 2016 in our gallery at 61 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town.
2016 | ORGANISM, StateoftheART GAllery, Cape Town
2014 | WILD & STILL: expressions of the landscape, StateoftheART Gallery, Cape Town
- 2016 | OPENLab2016, as part of the Programme for Innovation in Artform Development (PIAD), an initiative of the Vrystaat Arts Festival and University of the Free State. Included a weeklong residency at MAP (Modern Art Projects) in Richmond.
- 2015 | Global Nomadic Art Project Korea II. Presented by Yatoo-i, South Korea.
- 2015 | Thupelo workshop, Ruth Prowse School of Art, Woodstock, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2011 | Koekenaap regional artists workshop. Presented by Wesland Art Society and the Department of Cultural Affairs, Koekenaap, Matzikama District, South Africa
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers
- PPS Investments
- OPTIMA Training
- Heyns & Partners IncSELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS:
- 2016 | ORGANISM with OutoftheCUBE at Turbine Art Fair, 14-17 July 2016, Johannesburg.
- 2015 | It’s in my Nature… Exhibition by Janet Botes & Jaco Coetzee. Liebrecht Gallery, Somerset West
- 2015 | Remembrance of Nature: 30 Nature Artists in the World, Geumgang Nature Art Center, Gongju, S.Korea
- 2015 | The Snake Eagle Thinking Path Launch exhibition. Matjiesfontein, Karoo, South Africa
- 2014 | The industrial Karoo: FEAR & LOSS, curated by Katie Barnard du Toit. Oliewenhuis Art Museum,"The Reservoir", Bloemfontein.
- 2013 | Pieces & Puzzles: Compositions of human expression inspired by nature. Lovell Gallery, Woodstock
- 2013 | Encounters Annual Wildlife exhibition at the Cape Gallery, Cape Town
- 2013 | Hiernamaals – Hereafter, Slee Gallery, Stellenbosch
- 2012 | Walk This Earth Alone, Gallery @ Grande Provence, Franschhoek, Western Cape.
- 2012 | HumanEarth III: First Material, US Gallery, University of Stellenbosch’s Woordfees,Western Cape
- 2011 | Scrapes & Scapes, Exhibition by Janet Botes & Mark Shaun Hopkins. Bodutu Gallery, Vanderbijlpark
- 2011 | HumanEarth: conversation, Wessel Snyman Creative, Cape Town. Curated by Nastasha Daniels
- 2010 | VAN-Guard Winelands Group Exhibition, Durbanville Hills, Western Cape. Curated and organized by VANSA.
- 2009 | AVA members Exhibition, Association of Visual Arts, Cape Town
- 2009 | Sangisa Sangisa, exhibition & group performance, VANSA Spin Space, Cape Town
- 2008 | Unified: Unpretty, Unclean, Underneath, Unnatural. Eat Your Words Artspace, Vereeniging